Spot the Mistakes 1: ANSWERS
The eight incorrect sentences, each with one mistake, have been corrected in bold. Note that in some cases there was more than one way to correct the sentence.
Two of the sentences (numbers 2 and 8) did not contain a mistake.
So, how did you do?
1. Cristiano Ronaldo of Portugal is the early leader in the race to win the Golden Boot in this World Cup, having scored four goals so far.
2. This is the first time that Russia has hosted the World Cup.
3. Spain against Portugal, a wonderfully exciting game, took place on 15 June.
4. Of all the countries that have ever taken part in the World Cup, Iceland has the smallest population.
5. So far, no match has ended in a 0-0 draw.
6. The Swiss defenders fouled Neymar many times in the Brazil v Switzerland game.
7. England managed to [beat] [win against] Tunisia 2-1, with a winning goal by Harry Kane in the last minute.
8. Germany started badly, with a 1-0 defeat against Mexico.
9. Of all the Russian host cities, Ekaterinburg is the [furthest east] [most easterly] [easternmost].
10. There has been one victory so far by an African country, when Senegal beat Poland 2-1.